Apache OpenOffice is a well-known open-source suite which is a reliable alternative to the paid Microsoft Office and its word processor. It includes six different applications which allow you to work with text documents, any spreadsheet, databases, presentations or even graphics. This free software stands out for being available in 27 different languages, for being very light on system resources and for supporting multiple document formats.
It’s written in C++ and it’s also documented APIs licensed under SISSL and LGPL open-source protocols. That means that any expert developer can be benefited from the source this program offers. On the other hand, Apache OpenOffice is easy to use since it is pretty straightforward if you want to learn to use it in a basic level.
This suite is suitable for any kind of user and you can take advantage of this program for almost any purpose. Once you download the software and start using it, you will quickly get used to the basics, especially if you usually work with Microsoft Office. Besides, this Apache OpenOffice suite is available in multiple languages and it doesn’t present compatibility problems with any computer or format.
All-in-one solution to create any document
As it was mentioned above, this open-source suite provides you all the necessary tools to carry out any domestic, educational or commercial purpose in one single package. This way, the pack includes six different applications, becoming a multiplatform compatible with most of the well-known productivity suites: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Base and Math, which will be detailed below.
The Writer application is probably the most popular one and it consists of a word processor that you can use to work with any text document such as a letter or a university assignment. Calc is a spreadsheet used to calculate, analyze and present data. Impress allows you to create multimedia presentations and it includes 2D and 3D clip art, animation, drawing tools and special effects.
On the other hand, Draw allows you to create diagrams and dynamic 3D illustrations. Base is the tool that allows you to work with databases and Math helps you to create mathematical equations. Moreover, the download of Apache OpenOffice comes with some advanced features that other similar paid programs don’t support. For instance, it is able to create .pdf files.
In addition, if you want to take advantage of the customizable features of Apache OpenOffice, you can download several templates and extensions from the developer’s site. For example, the Presenter Console Extension allows you to see the next slides, notes and time while making an oral presentation in front of your audience.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 Features
The main features of this Apache OpenOffice software are listed below:
- AutoCorrect dictionary which checks your spelling as you type and it also supports different languages when using the word processor
- AutoComplete suggests common phrases and words
- PDF files support
- Advanced DataPilot to convert raw data into significant information
- Natural language formulas: create formulas using common words
- Collaborative working with multiple users supported
- Arrange objects tool to work with grouped objects and sophisticated rendering to enhance images with texture, transparency, lighting effects or perspective
- Enhanced Picture Gallery to insert clipart and create your own art
- New templates and extensions
- Wizards to help new users
- Save your work in OpenDocument format, a standard for office documents
- Multiple supported formats
If you want to know more information about Apache OpenOffice, feel free to visit the developer's website .
The minimum system requirements to install this suite in your Windows system are:
- OS: Windows XP or higher
- RAM: 256 MB
- Hard-Disk: 650 MB of free space
- 1024 x 768 or highest resolution